Pages

Monday 14 March 2011

Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes

Coming from Texas, mashed potatoes are compulsory.
My husband tries to keep his dairy intake to a minimum, so I had to find a new way of making this side dish.

This recipe is simple and makes delicious potatoes.  They're smooth enough that I think they're just as good as the dairy-laden (less healthy) version.

You'll need about one baking potato for each person you're feeding.  Cut them up into inch-sized pieces.

Put the pieces in a pot, covering them with cold water.


Add a few bulbs of fresh garlic (I use about two for 2 servings), but you can use more or less depending on your taste.  It sounds like it will be really garlic-y, but it isn't.
If you like you can add a few sprigs of fresh rosemary.  It adds a little something, but I didn't have any on hand.

Bring the pot to a boil, then let it bubble for about 20 minutes until the spuds are nice and tender.
Drain the pot.  If you used rosemary, pull out the stems (most of the leaves will have fallen off).
Use a masher and smash it all up real nice.

Drizzle some olive oil and mash it some more.

Drizzle and mix until it's nice and smooth and takes on a creamy texture.  Add salt to taste.

Enjoy.
All personal photos

3 comments:

  1. You know what would be even better? If you flew to Nairobi and cooked it for me. :) I'm pretty sure any attempt of mine would not come out so nicely but I will document my next cooking attempt and you can decide for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like mashed potatoes made with chicken broth. The swanson's can used to recommend them calling them "skinny mashed potatoes". I did a quick google and this looks like it approximately: http://www.campbellwellness.com/Recipe.aspx?recipeID=23866

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micah- I bet even you could manage this! :) It's pretty fool-proof...
    Elizabeth- My husband might divorce me if I put chicken broth in his taters!

    ReplyDelete