Pages

Sunday 20 March 2011

I've never heard of that... 80's edition

80's music is fun.  Most Americans are familiar with plenty of Brit music from this era, but there are plenty of songs that never quite made it into US conciousness even though they were huge in England.  Seriously, I hear them on the radio frequently here even thought I'd never heard of them prior to my move.
I'd like to share a few of them with you.

First up, we all remember Spandau Ballet for their tune "True".  Notably sung by Steve Buscemi in The Wedding Singer:


But there was another hit here in England.  A peppy song that I've seen Brits gleefully/cheesily/excitedly sing along with many a time.

Next up is a song I was mostly familiar with for it's use in soundtracks- generally to add to a highly emotional scene.  Here's a clip from one of my favourite shows of all time Alias.  Poor Sydney's sad!  But Strong!



The artist, Kate Bush, had a huge hit in the UK and (according to Ross) and iconic video for her song "Wuthering Heights".  In fact, it was recently parodied by a comedian for this year's Let's Dance For Comic Relief.  Prepare your ears:
 

Lastly, no 80s compilation CD is complete without the upbeat violin and scamps in overalls of:


I'd bet most Americans assume that Dexys Midnight Runners were one hit wonders.  Well, they had another #1 hit in the UK.  Their first #1 was this brass-filled ditty:

I hope you've enjoyed this trip to the 80's and learned something new.  Ross is always surprised when we come across a song that was huge here and unheard of in America, so I thought it would be fun to share a few with y'all!

Had you heard of any of my "unknown" songs?  What are your favourite 80s tunes?







No comments:

Post a Comment