Pages

Wednesday 2 March 2011

My Drug of Choice



So I've been making an effort to cut back on my soda consumption.  The hubs is irritatingly healthy and never drinks anything carbonated.  He especially dislikes anything with "fake" stuff in it.  He'd rather I drank full octane soda than the diet stuff I crave.  I always told him that I'd stop drinking it when I got pregnant.*  (No, I'm not making any announcements!)  I figure I'd rather quit now than go through withdrawal while I'm all hormoney too.  So for the last few months, I've been weaning myself off of my precious Coke Zero.

In the days before I got married, it was not uncommon for me to have 3-5 diet drinks per day (usually Diet Dr. Pepper).  So out of control!  When I moved to England I switched to Coke Zero.  I started limiting myself to one a day pretty easily.  I kept telling myself I would cut back but it never happened.  I made a decision to stop buying soda for the house and only have it if we were out.  That took will power out of the equation, but I was still have a soda nearly every day.

So a year went by and I'd made no progress.  Cue 2011... baby making was getting closer to a reality and I decided to kick it up a notch.  I put myself on a plan.  Gave myself rules.  I could have a soda if we were out at lunch (which we are most days, grabbing a sandwich at Pret a Manger) on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday OR Sunday.  This worked super well!  I was still getting my fix, but I had structure and accountability.

So after a few weeks of my 3 per week schedule, I decided to go even further.  I'm now down to a Wednesday/Weekend schedule.  The ultimate goal is to be soda-free in the next couple of months....
Hopefully my willpower will stay strong!

Check out the scary article that made me feel a little better (and also more scared!) about how hard it is to quit my addiction.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/01/diet.soda.health/index.html

*Ross is not forcing me to quit anything.  He's a great guy who repeatedly tells me he doesn't want me to do anything just because he'd prefer it.  It's totally my choice to be healthier- which he approves of whole-heartedly!

No comments:

Post a Comment